He was 21 years old and had 2 missing front teeth. Of course, he wanted to look good and wanted to get dentures. The problem was he lacked funds. Upon the advice of a friend, he went to a “technician” who allegedly sold cheap dentures. Everything was all right until one day, he fell asleep and ACCIDENTALLY SWALLOWED his dentures.
At the emergency room, laboratory work up and imaging studies were done. He was then rushed to the operating room for emergency esophagoscopy (an operation where a tube is passed via your mouth to visualize the esophagus or the swallowing tube). During the operation however, there was difficulty in removing the dentures because the sharp and jagged edges were buried so deep into the mucosa (inner lining) of the esophagus. A skin incision was subsequently made anterior to the sternocleidomastoid muscle in the neck to make a lateral pharyngotomy approach (making an incision on the muscles to the side of the esophagus) to removing the dentures stuck into his neck.
Always remove your dentures before sleeping.
Never sacrifice the quality of your dentures for the price. It may end up costing you more.